Monday, February 22, 2010

 

U S A

Thirty years ago today is generally not a day I would remember.  But the US beating Russia in an Olympic hockey game made it a day that a lot of people talk about... "I remember where I was when...". 
 
I was 14 years old and not much of a hockey fan.  I was into the Olympics though and always was.  I have to admit that I knew the hockey result before the game was even played.  In fact, I probably wouldn't have even watched the game had I not known that the US had won.  I wonder how many people would even admit that today or that even watched the game.  It's such an iconic event but I bet it wasn't viewed by a lot of people.  Probably like the hundreds of thousands of Indian fans who were in the stands for Len Barker's perfect game (official attendance 7,290).  Regardless, what a memory.  I watched it in my bedroom on a little black and white tv. I have no idea why I watched it there and not on our main tv.  Maybe I was in trouble but I doubt it. 
 
The first thing Henry asked me this morning was who won the hockey game last night.  I wish he could have stayed up and watched it.  He loves the Olympics too and everyone is having fun watching them.  Someday, it would be nice to attend one.  Maybe in 2014 and definitely by 2018.  I have fond memories of 1992 and Barcelona. 

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?