Tuesday, November 25, 2008

 

Cowboys and Indians and Pirates

Henry's school had a Thanksgiving lunch today.  On the way to school, he told me that the kids had picked out of a hat to determine what they would be and he was going to be a Pilgrim.  I said "oh, and the other kids are going to be Indians?".  He replied "Native Americans". 
 
When I arrived at the lunch, half the kids were wearing Pilgrim hats and half feathers.  Then I realized that there were a couple real Indians in his class, kids whose parents were from India.  So Native Americans was probably the way to go.  I guess.  But when the "Pilgrims" started to pretend shoot the "Indians" before the brief skit they did, one of the teachers said "no, no, the Pilgrims don't shoot the Indians, they share their food with them".  I guess even teachers forget political correctness at times.  Speaking of that, should we really call pirates "pirates"?  Enough arrrrready. 
 
I don't remember all the toys I had as a youth but I did have some toy cowboy and indians figures and a plastic fort that you built to protect the cowboys.  I remember that being a toy that I enjoyed.  At some point, I got a much bigger action figure, GI Joe size, and he was a cowboy and sat on a horse.  It was 10 times bigger than the little figures and not nearly as enjoyable.  My walking toy robot was a lot of fun. I remember it well and helps that I found a video tape I made years ago from an old 8 mm movie.  It shows video of the family around 1970 or so.  I'll have to bust it out during Christmas and show dad and my sister.  Here's a photo of the robot I found on the web.
 
1960's Toy Vintage Robot

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?