Wednesday, September 24, 2008

 
Paul Brown would be 100 years old today if he were alive. PB is Massillon's most famous citizen, certainly ahead of Lillian Gish and David Canery of film and tv fame. I believe Paul Brown should be recognized as the most innovative football mind in the history of the game. Those who know and have studied football realize this but the casual fan certainly does not. For some reason, he was never given the "most" genius label and that's a shame.

I met Paul Brown on the night that Paul Brown Tiger Stadium was dedicated to him. My family used to eat at a restaurant every Friday night before the game and he happened to be dining there. My dad made me go up and introduce myself to him and I was very nervous. Not only because it was Paul Brown but because its intimidating for a ten year old to go up to a stranger and say hi. But I did it and I'm glad I did. I mentioned my Grandfather, Bill Briggs, and PB smiled and nodded recognition. Granddad was the first scorekeeper in Massillon Stadium and was well known around town. The Briggs name has always been well known in Massillon and I credit Granddad for starting that nice tradition.

Comments:
You're on the blog list.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?