Friday, February 15, 2008

 
Three thoughts today:

1. In 1980, after the Jimmy Carter years, the top tax rate was 70 percent. If I had been working and earning what I do today, I would fall in the 49 percent bracket. That's really hard to believe. I wonder which Presidential candidate would return us to those brackets?


2. We're not getting the big tax check that the government is sending out. I oppose it but would have taken it. But then I found out that its simply an advance on next year's taxes so I oppose it even more. Seriously, we're always being told to save our money so what would happen if everyone simply put their check in the bank? That's the opposite of what the government wants you to do with it, they want you to get out and spend spend spend.


3. I just finished reading 1776. I took two things away from it...George Washington wasn't a very good commander at the beginning of the war. He made a couple major blunders with his indecisiveness. Secondly, I'm amazed that our soldiers went without shoes. And not just sitting around without shoes but marching tens of miles a day in the snow without them. I look out my window and see the snow on the ground and wonder what that would be like and if I could do it. I doubt it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?