Monday, February 04, 2008

 
30 of 125 potential jurors dismissed in National Century fraud trial
Monday, February 4, 2008 12:55 PM

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
The first of four trials involving the collapse of National Century Financial Enterprises began with jury selection this morning in federal court. A pool of 125 potential jurors filed into the courtroom of U.S. District Judge Algenon L. Marbley, leaving no room for media or other observers. About 30 of the jurors were dismissed shortly before noon, so spectators are expected to be allowed inside when the trial resumes at 1:30 p.m.

I was one of those jurors dismissed.

I've known I had federal jury duty for a month or so. A week or so ago they sent me a detailed questionaire about the above case. There was nothing in it that would disqualify me from the jury.

So I showed up at the Federal Courthouse downtown this morning at 7:15 a.m. Things were fairly well organized, plenty of donuts, bagels, pop etc. (our tax money at work). As a side, they pay roundtrip milage, parking and even for a hotel if you live more than so many miles from Cbus. Plus, $40 pay per day. I am juror #136. meaning there's a number of people in front of me. I found out later they were bringing in 125 jurors today and another 125 tomorrow.

About 9:15 a.m. they line us up and march us upstairs to the courtroom. We barely fit in. The judge comes in and talks to us for a bit, telling us that the trial would likely last 6-8 weeks. Whoooa. There is no way I can serve that long. So he asks if this is going to cause a hardship for anyone and if so, please stand up and say why. He added that if there was anyone who was uncomfortable or wanted to talk in private they could come up for a sidebar meeting with him and the attorneys. A bunch of yahoos proceed to march up there and want to meet with him. I know that 95 percent of them thought they had to go up there rather than just stand up so those 35 meetings ended up lasting over 2 hours. I felt like standing up and shouting "stop it you stupid people, the sidebar is just for those who are embarrassed about something".

Twice the judge told his bailiff to remind people that they would have an opportunity to stand up later and explain why they couldn't serve. Twice people kept going up there. That stuff drives me crazy when people a. don't listen or b. are too stupid to follow directions and it costs me an inconvenience of time.

Another side, I heard a couple times jurors discussing the case and the headline article in yesterday's newspaper. Don't these people know that you aren't supposed to discuss a case with another potential juror.

So, after the sidebar marathon, about 8 people stood up and said why they couldn't serve. Most dealt with jobs and not being able to take the time off. My speech certainly did "I work for a large company but I'm the only person in our Columbus office. I lobby the General Assembly and the next two months will be very busy for me. Plus, I have a vacation planned for mid-March".

Right before dismissing us for lunch, he read the juror numbers of everyone who had a sidebar with him and those who had stood up or those who had said the Dispatch article might taint their opinions. We were to stay and everyone else was dismissed for lunch. A quick thank you for coming in, you are excused followed and out the door I went. There were more than 30 people dismissed though, it was at least a third of the pool.

I am still on jury duty for the rest of the month. I have to call in Saturday to see if I have to report next Monday. I hope I get a trial, it really is interesting stuff. I would have loved to have served on this National Century case but I can't take off two months from my job, especially at this time.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?