Friday, October 19, 2007

 
I went to the Social Security office today in downtown Columbus. That's always a treat. I needed to get Jack a SS number. After showing an i.d. and emptying my pockets and walking through a metal detector, they let me in the building. When I got to the office, a security officer tried to help me. He told me I would need more than a birth certificate to get a number, did I have a medical card or something else with his name on it. No I didn't. I waited anyway to see if they would let me slide. After ten minutes, my number was called and I approached the lady. Nope, they couldn't process my application without some sort of alternative id.

I mean, seriously. What kind of id does a baby have? Military? Drivers?

As I was almost out of the building, I had a thought. I figured Voinovich or our new liberal left wing Senator Sherrod Brown would have an office in the building. Luckily for me, Brown did and I went up there. I told the guy what I needed and called Dr. Whitaker's office and asked them to fax me a copy of Jack's immunization records. They did, I thanked the Senator's staffer and went back to the SS office. I only had to wait 5 minutes this time before being called and they processed the application.

Jack should have a social security number in 10-14 days. That's frankly amazing that the federal government can move that quickly. But I'm happy. We can open bank accounts, enroll him in college savings programs, etc. as soon as he has a number.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?