Monday, February 19, 2007

 
Daring Rescue on the Mathias Pond

Today several neighbors and I had to brave the ice on the pond in front of our house and rescue a dog that had fallen through. We have several circulators that prevent the pond from totally freezing over and there was a duck in one of the areas. The dog was trying to get the duck and fell in.

No one seemed eager to go out on the ice; I don't think anyone thought it was safe. Finally, Tibbitts went out and I threw on my boots, I wasn't letting him fall through without someone there to help. The ice seemed fine and I got close enough to grab the dog's collar and lift him out. Snowball is fine and I think the owner is going to reward us with a case of beer. You can't beat that.

Heroism is a funny thing. No one knows what they would do in the face of a dramatic situation. I don't consider this a heroic event but it was still a bit tense. Here's to Snowball and here's to our case of beer.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?