Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 
In 1991, while working for Congressman Ralph Regula, I was involved in planning a Senior Olympic event. There had been an event years previously in Stark County and there was a desire among people to get it going again. I sat on the Stark County Council on Aging and was included in the initial group that founded the Hall of Fame Regional Senior Olympics. Blanche Motts, who sat on the Council, pushed hard for this to occur and I always admired her tenacity. Her son Dave is the VP of Marketing & Operations for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, a job which I always thought would be neat, and maybe the only job I would return to Stark County for.

I was elected the Chairman and Coordinator for the event and served in that capacity for 2 years. We recruited many of Stark County's best people to serve on the committee and we had a successful event both years I was involved. Through it, I met Carrie Fanelly who worked for East Ohio Gas and this friendship eventually led to my hiring at the gas company.

I was probably too young at the time to run such a large operation. I didn't have the skills at age 25 to delegate authority and to deal with committee members who were older and had much more experience than I did. I was probably elected because I worked for Congressman Regula. Although I still subscribe to the theory of "if you want it done right, do it yourself" I recognize now that delegation is a key part of being in charge.

We essentially ran a week-long event, with the track and field portion being the biggest. We also had events such as a softball tournament, table tennis, archery, swimming, billiards, etc. We had medals and media and everything associated with a community event. Qualifiers went to the State Olympics and I attended those one year in Dayton. State winners went on to the national games.

I enjoyed my involvement with the Senior Olympics and was always amazed at the competitive nature and the skill of some of the participants. I can't imagine running the 100 meter dash in my 80s but we had people that did it. My time as the Chairman and Coordinator was rewarding and I learned a lot from it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?