Thursday, October 19, 2006

 
Cruise Part 5

We got off the ship in the Cayman Islands and immediately headed to the beach. Taxis were plentiful and we saw a lot of the U.S. down there, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, etc. It was very modern, especially compared with Cozumel. Seven mile beach is one of the nicest of the world but it was very built up, there were a lot of hotels and condos along the beach.

We found ourselves on the beach next to our new friends from Boston. Like it or not, they were hanging out with us. I pretty much laid on the beach and worked on my tan all day, Shep and Tony got in the water much more than I. At this point, I had turned very dark. I joked about being the tannest guy on the ship and I probably wasn't too far off. I never really remember getting dark when I was little and I had my share of sunburns but ever since probably my high school days my skin could get pretty dark.

The ship was anchored offshore and it almost looked like you could swim out to it. I took a great photo of it; almost looked like a postcard. The thing I remember most though was the $13 hamburger someone bought from the hotel bar. This was in the early 90s so you can imagine its even more obscene that it is now. Things were definitely more expensive in the Caymans. I liked it but I'm not sure if I would go back. There are other islands I would prefer. I've been to St. John's and would love to stay there for a few nights. Aruba is nice I hear. Cancun, maybe someday if the deal is right and I need some warm weather. St. Lucia, the British Virgin Islands, are also on my list.

We eventually found our way back to the ship. Not one of our more exciting days but then we did what we wanted to: nothing. I like that about cruises. If you want to go to Hell (which is a tourist spot on the Caymans) you can. If you want to swim with the stingrays, go scuba diving or windsailing, it's available to you. But if you just want to go to the beach and relax, well that's an option too.

Next up, Jamaica. I've always wanted to go there so I was looking forward to it. Mom and Dad honeymooned there but I'm sure it was very different back in the 50s.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?