Friday, June 30, 2006

 
Probably the main reason I'm writing a blog is to put some of my past experiences down on paper (can the internet be considered paper?). It helps me remember them and Lord knows I need that help at forty years of age. My Regula internship doesn't seem that long ago and I'll write some about my Spain and Europe adventures at some point but that's not a huge priority because I kept a diary during that trip and I have it somewhere in a box, all 30 typewritten pages. So over the next few months I'll discuss that and more, the Fiesta Bowl trip, 9/11, various big sporting events I've attended including the Masters, Indy 500, Kentucky Derby, nice golf courses I've played, political conventions I've attended, scuba diving, my sailing class in Key West, a cruise I went on with my friends, the Olympic trip in 1992, Las Vegas, college, my job with Regula, Inaugural Balls and more.

Today's version of fun/unusual things I've done: Several months ago I was in Springfield Illinois for work. I don't know too many people who have been to Springfield but I'll be nice and just say that there are better places in the world to visit. I'll be spending a day or two every month there from now on and that's okay.

Abraham Lincoln was another guy who spent some time there and without him, the capital of Illinois might be unbearable. There are some great historical things to see: Lincoln's home, tomb, law office, train depot, etc. They just opened a Lincoln Museum and it is very nice.

Well, a few months ago I had some time to kill before my flight out of town so I visited the Old State Capitol Building. There, on June 16, 1858 over 1000 delegates met and chose Lincoln to be their Republican candidate for U.S. Senate. He stood at the podium and gave his famous "A house divided cannot stand" speech about slavery. I was the only visitor in the Capitol that day and my tour guide let me go up behind the ropes and stand where Lincoln stood when he gave the speech. I thought that was really cool. Below is an excerpt from his speech that day:

"In my opinion, it (slavery) will not cease, until a crisis shall have been reached and passed. "A house divided against itself cannot stand." I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved -- I do not expect the house to fall -- but I do expect it will cease to be divided.".

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?