Thursday, June 29, 2006

 
I don't believe in this recent trend of not keeping score in children's sports and not rewarding kids for winning. I especially don't believe in giving every kid on every team a trophy at the end of the year. Winners get trophies. The other teams work harder and aspire to be the team that gets a trophy.

There is nothing wrong with winning. And losing teaches important lessons. What's the lesson learned when there is no winner or loser in a sporting event?

I don't remember ever playing on a championship baseball team. Or football. Or basketball. But I wanted to. I wanted to be the best. I played a lot of ping pong growing up and my dad would always beat me. I was a poor loser and remember crying and pouting at times because I couldn't beat him. But I also remember how sweet it was the day I finally beat him. It was easier after that but I'm glad he didn't let me win.

I can't wait until Henry starts playing sports. He already swings the bat like a champ and has always had a great arm. He'll shoot baskets all day at the neighbors and he told me he wants to be on the football team and not the marching band. I'm so proud.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?